June 22, 2004

Optimism: It's Worst Than We Thought

There are several things I see in politics than bug me a some level, but not on the level where I can express a real thought. All the talk about Reagan the optimist, and Bush and Kerry with their dueling optimism campaign messages was bugging me, but I wasn't sure why. Michael Kinsley has written why this bugs me. The big finish:

And if forced to choose between a leader whose vision is clouded by optimism and one whose vision is clouded by pessimism, there is a good case that pessimism is the more prudent choice. Another name for pessimism is a tragic sensibility. It is a vivid awareness that things can go wrong, and often have. An optimist thinks he can pop over to Iraq, knock Saddam Hussein off his perch, establish democracy throughout the Middle East and be home in time for dinner. A pessimist knows better.

In other news John Kerry is up 53-45 and is rated higher on the issues of Terrorism(!!) and Taxes(!!!). I am feeling optimistic, how about you?

No comments: