February 23, 2010

My Memo to the Academy

Was ready this little "think piece" from Pajiba on the importance of Oscar. I'm convinced. This is important stuff. Movies are our culture, and its important that our culture not suck, least we be judged harshly by cultural historians of the future.

So in the unlikely event that a voting member of the Academy wanders across this post, let me urge you to vote for The Hurt Locker over Avatar for best picture. This is important. Sure Avatar looks great, but The Hurt Locker easily the best picture I saw all year. I don't care what the box office says. The Hurt Locker is a deep, powerfully, well-acted, and brilliantly written movie that stays with you long after the cotton candy of Avatar has faded from your mind.

Just think about, would you voters?

No comments: