April 18, 2008

Candidate Cool

Matt Yglesias shows us Obama referencing Jay-Z's Dirt Off Your Soldier. A little bit of hip-hop is always in Obama's stump speech. When he acknowledges someone in a audience during a speech, like a Mayor, union or local celebrity he says "In the House" as in "Teamsters Union in the House!" When he calls for applause he says "Give it up for..." So do you think this helps or hurts? Young people love it, I'm sure, but does it turn off the old and unhip who make up the majority of voters?

My take is everyone wants to be cool and will back a cool candidate even if deep down, they know they themselves are not cool. What say you?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm relatively young, and quite frankly the "coolness" is actually a bit off-putting for me. I want a president who is a bit more professional. Yeah, a president has to appeal to the American people, but just as importantly a president has to represent the American people to the rest of the world, and quite frankly, I don't think you can say "let's give it up for the king of Jordan, whoowhoo!!"