September 6, 2004

Bono on The O'Reilly Factor!

My biggest miss of the GOP Convention, along with not scoring an interview with Zell Miller for the blog, was not seeing Bono go on the O'Reilly Factor. Nothing dies on the internet and I have found the transcript. Now, it is well known that, in addition to being the front man for the GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD, Bono has magical powers when it comes to fighting for his causes of AIDS and Debt relief in Africa. He moved the racist old hardass Senator Jesse Helms to tearfull support of his cause. Full of shit Bill O'Reilly does not stand a chance:

O'REILLY: Do you really believe America is a great country?

BONO: Yes, I do.

O'REILLY: Because a lot of Europeans do not.

BONO: Yes -- no, I mean, I'm like an annoying fan. I'm like the one that reads the liner notes on the CD. I'm the one that -- I read the Declaration of Independence before a speaking tour we did on AIDS in the Midwest. I've read the Constitution. I've read these poetic tracks. And I suppose, you know, I'm just going around trying to remind people that their country -- why it is great, and in case they forget, why it’s great. Because the United States that I love is like the Statue of Liberty with its arms open, give me your tired, your poor and huddled masses. It's not the continent behaving like an island, which sometimes it behaves like.

...

BONO: Look, if you see a car crash, somebody's lying there in the middle of the road bleeding and it turns out they're a drunk driver, you're still going to call an ambulance. We can't make these judgments about entire civilizations. We try to re-educate people, we try to deal with the problem.

And by the way, not dealing with the problem with something like AIDS, which metastasized, which grows on a geometric level, is really foolhardy. Because it will be more expensive to deal with it later.

...

O'REILLY: You're certainly doing God's work. I mean, I admire you very much for what you're doing.


No chance at all.

No comments: