September 10, 2004

Friday No-Panic Edition

So, every morning I turn on cable news for 5-15 minutes while I put on my shoes and eat a bagel or somesuch. CNN, Fox, whoever has politics going at that moment. Today it's Fox and I am in despair. Kerry's poll numbers are down, he can't do anything right, blah, blah. I hang my head in shame. But then I log on and the lovely Michelle Cottle, who really should be on TV more, has written an article to buck me up.

Enough with the public hand-wringing. For starters, this election is hardly over. Iraq is still a disaster. The economy isn't exactly en fuego. Al Qaeda is very much alive and recruiting like crazy. The entire Middle East, and much of the rest of the world, thinks America is the Great Satan. Our homeland security efforts are scattered and underfunded. Iran and North Korea are building nukes. Dick Cheney is becoming a bigger jerk by the day. Bush's National Guard record is back in the news. And not even Karl Rove's flying monkeys can stop Monday's release of Kitty Kelley's new book--which, while unlikely to inflict much damage to W.'s rep, in part because even many Republicans have long assumed that "I was young and irresponsible" is code for "I was a rich, spoiled, coke-snorting, drunk-driving, awol slamhound, will at least annoy the Bushies for a few days.

Ok, Michelle, I say, if you are telling me to not to panic, then I shall remain tough. Then I read this one by William Saletan which compares the Bush administration to the guy who runs the wrong way with the football and I start to feel good. Then this story in Salon about how conservatives shouldn't vote for Bush. Dark cloud lifted.

I proudly present my Bush-Cheney 2004 slogan:

We may be lost, but we are making good time.

No comments: