March 2, 2009

Paul Harvey...Good Day!

Back in the day, before I knew that other radio stations existed my parents would always listen to KNGT - Home Town Radio. One of their features was always Paul Harvey. Silky smooth voice, breaking down the news, pitching products. He had the news of the day, funny dumb criminal stories, couples that had made it to their 60th (!) wedding anniversary, the ironic twists from history in his "The Rest of the Story" bits. He was the most amazing salesman. To this day I remain convinced the Boise Radio is the best ever made, and I've never actually heard one. Eventually I discovered the dial on the side of the radio, and moved to stations that played cooler music and didn't tell you a bit of news. Now that I know where I stand, I can safely say that the "Comment" part of Paul Harvey, News and Comment is all wet.

But Paul Harvey was the one that taught me that news could be fun, was worth paying attention to. That the world was worth listening to. So thank you for that Mr. Harvey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The work ethic of Paul Harvey and his integrity as a person was way above the norm. Paul Harvey was one of my favorites when I was growing up. Paul Harvey was a one of a kind and he will be missed.