April 15, 2005

My Guy For Pope

Sure it's completely secret and holy and everything, but picking the next Pope is a political act. I just have to pick sides somehow. TNR has a good round-up of the Papable and the case for each here. I found my guy: Godfried Danneels, Archbishop of Mechelen-Brussels:

The 72-year-old cardinal is the former head of International Pax Christi, the Catholic peace movement, and has been unusually outspoken for a man who aspires to his church's highest position. In the past few years, Danneels has urged his colleagues to debate controversial questions such as whether an ailing pope should be encouraged, or even forced, to resign; whether women should be allowed to fill top Vatican posts; and whether condoms are an appropriate tool in the fight against AIDS.

Of course, not being a Cardinal, I don't have a lot to say in the matter.

No comments: