August 9, 2005

Running for a Good Reason

My friend Emily, while overall a tremendous person, has some strange habits. She actually runs long distances with no one chasing her or anything. Personally, I feel that if God had wanted me to travel long distances under my own power, he wouldn't have given me a car. But Emily is putting her strange habits to work on a good cause. Here she is:

In 2001, I lost my grandfather to leukemia. I had lost someone important in my life and for the first time, leukemia had devastated me in a very personal way. I have joined The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training (TNT), and I need your support. Several of my colleagues at Stantec Consulting are joining me in training for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco, on October 23, 2005. I have committed to raise $1,900 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as part of my participation in the Nike Women's Half Marathon. At least 75% of this money goes directly towards funding for research, patient aid, and community service programs. Please support me in this effort by visiting my webpage and sponsoring my half marathon.

All donations are 100% tax deductible and any amount is greatly appreciated.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is one of the world's leading research organizations dedicated to finding a cure for Leukemia and its related cancers (Lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and Myeloma). Each year, over 100,000 Americans will contract, and more than 50,000 will die, from Leukemia or its related diseases this year, making it the 4th major cause of death. It is especially devastating to the lives of children. While the survival rate for children has increased dramatically over the years, it has remained unchanged for adults who suffer from this disease.Each team has specific honorees, with ranges of ages and stages of illness.

I am participating in memory of my Grandpa Ben, Aunt Sally, childhood friend Scott Strobel, and in honor of Imani of Sacramento. Imani was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia in January of 2001, just 12 days before her 9th birthday. Currently, at the age of 13, she is in full remission. With 8 surgeries and 5 blood transfusions behind her, she completed her chemotherapy treatments February of last year!


So get over there and pitch in. Go right now.

No comments: