November 5, 2005

Profound Questions

I'm surrounded by obsessive compulsive people. All kinds of leftover Halloween candy laying around this week. For some reason people have the compulsion to separate them into different categories. Snickers bars in one pile, the jolly ranchers in another and so on. What makes people do that? Are they driven to bring order out of chaos? Is this the one thing that they can control?

I heard an ad for the new David Grey album. One of the selling points was that the album was #1 in England. The thing is I sort of assume that the Album is good because it’s popular in England. Why is that? If an album was #1 in Japan I wouldn't think it was good. But for some reason I just assume that England has good musical tastes. Why is that?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I don't think it's that we assume that the English have better musical tastes than the Japanese, I think it has more to do with the English having more similiar musical tastes to American. Also, English musicians tend to speak English, whereas Japanese musicians don't.